Eat To Win
This nutrition tip is courtesy of Sydney Jacobson, registered dietitian at Hy-Vee in Windsor Heights, IA.
Dairy Delivers Quality Nutrition
June is National Dairy Month and when it comes to nutrient-rich foods for an economical value, nothing delivers quite like dairy foods. In fact, milk is America’s number one food source for calcium, potassium and vitamin D. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans encourages consuming 3 servings of low-fat dairy each day for those ages 9 and older. Currently the average American is consuming only about 2 servings of dairy a day. As a Hy-Vee registered dietitian and avid runner, I am joining in celebration with Midwest Dairy Council to share these Real, Fresh and Natural facts about dairy:
- Dairy is Real nutrition: Together, milk, cheese and yogurt deliver nine essential nutrients in a variety of tasty, affordable and convenient options.
- Dairy is Fresh: It takes less than 48 hours for milk to travel from the farm to the grocery store. This means you are guaranteed a fresh, nutritious product every time you shop the dairy aisle.
- Dairy is Natural: Milk is a natural source of high-quality protein for healthy muscles and calcium for strong bones, which are very important for optimal athletic performance.
To get the recommended three servings of dairy every day, try these tips:
- Mix it with milk. Blend it into your smoothies or stir it into instant cereals.
- Snack on cheese. The protein will help curb hunger and tide you over between meals.
- Try a yogurt treat. Serve a yogurt parfait for a simple breakfast or dessert.
Visit www.DairyMakesSense.com or www.Hy-Vee.com for dairy recipes, tips and information and to learn more of the many reasons why dairy makes sense for your family.
Sydney Jacobson earned a dietetics degree from Iowa State University and is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is also a marathoner with an interest in sport nutrition. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
This information is not intended as medical advice. See a medical professional for individual consultation.
| || |
|IN THIS ISSUE |
|Eat to Win |
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How many volunteers does it take to put on the Hy-Vee Triathlon?
A: We need an estimated 1,500 to 1,700 volunteers to stage a world-class event like the Hy-Vee Triathlon. Volunteers can sign up now for shifts starting August 25th and running through September 4th. There are jobs for people of all ability levels – some involve physical work such as setting up barricades and fencing, others do not. Check out the Volunteer section of the website for job descriptions, and register early for the best selection of assignments and shifts.